WHAT IS OUR POSITION ?
Belgium is currently in the European telecommunication infrastructure top 5. The telecom industry employs 50,000 people and forms the core of the economy as a whole and of the digital community as well (for citizens, industry and government).
Objective for 2020:
- Belgium conquers a place in the European telecom infrastructure top three once more.
- Regarding mobile infrastructure, 5G will be rolled out gradually as of 2020 as support infrastructure for economic and social development. The European Commission would like one city to play a leading role in the implementation of 5G in 2020. (Brussels would be a logical choice.)
For this Belgium requires a long-term vision which coordinates with various policy levels for the development of the telecom infrastructure as well as a fair, equitable and predictable rules and regulations framework that encourages investments in infrastructure.
WHAT ARE OUR CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS ?
- Develop a coordinated long-term vision in collaboration with various policy levels.
- Elaborate a fair, equitable and predictable rules and regulations framework that offers operators a correct return on investment.
- Implement a stable legal framework for telecom services and a systematic, thorough impact assessment before enforcing new obligations by law.
- Setting fair, equitable and non-discriminating prices and fair, equitable and non-discriminating policy for awarding licences for the use of the spectrum.
- Support innovative telecom projects especially regarding 5G to position Belgium for new technology (for example, e-health, e-gov, etc.).