WHAT IS OUR POSITION ?
The government must urgently invest more in technology and innovative solutions, but also give new business models a chance. Technology, the economy and society are changing very fast. It’s important for the government to concentrate on its core tasks, and cooperate with private players.
The role of cities and municipalities should also not be underestimated. If we want to have truly smart cities and municipalities, the local level must have more financial and operational scope. This means more autonomy, scaling up but also reviewing the role of cities and municipalities, for example in the energy landscape.
WHAT ARE OUR CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS ?
- Create a new investment dynamic, systematically focusing on innovative purchasing
- The government focuses on its core tasks, and cooperates as much as possible with private players
- Flanders gives new business models a chance
- Place the digitisation of the government above the political agenda
- Local authorities can be the driver of reform and innovation