WHAT IS OUR POSITION ?
Flanders is fully focused on innovation and must have the ambition to become a true top region for innovation in Europe (top 3 in Europe). This is why it must continue to invest, and improve the focus of these investments for maximum economic impact. In the complex digital environment of today, speed and flexibility are crucial. Innovating together with other companies, start-ups and scale-ups, knowledge centres, authorities and other stakeholders is the norm here. The walls between industry and knowledge institutions must be broken down.
WHAT ARE OUR CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS ?
- Spend 30% of public innovation funding in a demand-driven way and streamline the tools for companies.
- Invest heavily in an ambitious impulse programme for industry 4.0 and new themes like artificial intelligence and cyber security.
- Adapt the financing of knowledge institutions so that cooperation with companies in Flanders is stimulated, and ensure more mobility for researchers with, for example, the possibility to take an academic sabbatical.
- Don’t forget the innovation followers and SMEs either. Collective actions for a large group of companies are still needed.
- Support the progression of our innovative start-ups with financing and specific support. This can be done for instance by reducing fragmentation.