WHAT IS OUR POSITION ?
Despite the good policy intentions, we’re seeing congestion increasing further in Flanders. Companies are fleeing from certain cities and regions due to ‘inaccessibility’ and the economic and environmental cost of the traffic jams runs high. Traffic safety also remains a big concern. It is crucial to raise investments in basic infrastructure further. In addition, Flanders must use existing infrastructure more efficiently and make mobility safer and more sustainable, via combined mobility, adapted price signals and the implementation of technology.
WHAT ARE OUR CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS ?
- Heavily increase investments, both in basic infrastructure and smart solutions
- Increase the efficiency of alternative home-work journeys
- Implement a smart toll for all vehicles
- Pursue a more ambitious bike policy
- Work on more sustainable and efficient freight logistics
- Facilitate the further development of autonomous vehicles
- Reduce the impact of mobility on the environment
- Pursue a true open data policy
- Facilitate a coherent and coordinated mobility policy