WHAT IS OUR POSITION ?
The net result is certainly positive, provided that the necessary policy measures are taken, but also that a cultural shift occurs among employees and companies. If we don’t take action, then the mismatch between supply and demand on the labour market will grow even bigger. The Flemish education system must urgently enter the 21st century, reforms launched on the labour market need to move up a gear and smart labour migration must be considered as a priority on the political agenda.
WHAT ARE OUR CONCRETE RECOMMENDATIONS ?
- Prepare education for the future via a ‘school of the future’ programme that truly breaks down the walls between general, technical and professional education. Continue to invest in sandwich courses, also in higher education.
- The new final objectives in secondary education must be ambitious, because the quality of our education is deteriorating.
- Participation in lifelong learning must be increased considerably. Create a single agency for lifelong learning and flexible careers and ensure strong support for companies’ efforts. Make lifelong learning a culture.
- Pursue a genuine and coordinated STEM policy with sufficient resources. Create learning pathways between the different levels of education.
- Ensure more interregional mobility on the labour market, and deal with labour migration effectively and proactively
- Strengthen target group measures for unskilled young people (NEETS) and older employees: increase the target group discount and the salary cap.